Free Dhoti and Saree Scheme for Thai Pongal in Tamil Nadu 2020
Like all other states, Tamil Nadu has been actively working for the betterment of the people living in the region. The state government has implemented many welfare programs for developing the living standards of the poor and needy. Apart from providing financial assistance, the authority has also introduced the Free Saree Dhoti Scheme. Under the program, dhotis and sarees will be distributed among the needy individuals.
|Free Saree Dhoti Scheme in Tamil Nadu 2019
|Name in 2012
|Priceless Sarees and Dhoties Scheme
|Name in 2014
|First Announcement Date
|Minster M G Ramachandran
|Continued By in 2019
|Revenue Administration, Disaster Management and Mitigation Department
Key features of the scheme
- A token of gift for the needy – As per the guidelines of the scheme, the state government will provide dhotis and sarees on the event of the celebration of Pongal. This festival officially marks the new year of calendar for the people in Tamil Nadu.
- Free sarees and dhotis – The scheme highlights that the poor people will be given free sarees and dhotis, by the state authority but no money will be charged from them. It is free gift from the state
- Number of beneficiaries – As per the reports of the government, the state authority is planning to distribute around 1.62 lakh dhotis and sarees among the people.
- Empowering the weavers – many families in the state are associated with weaving. Due to the emergence of weaving machines, these families are in trouble. The dhotis and sarees will be taken from these poor weavers. They will be paid accordingly.
Eligibility criteria of the scheme
- Residents of Tamil Nadu – Only those individuals will be able to acquire the free dhoti and saree who are residing within the boundaries of Tamil Nadu. They need to have proper residential documents for supporting the claims.
- Low income groups – The people who are not economically sound and belong to the weaker economic section. The people who are living under the poverty level will be given the dress materials.
- Both for rural and urban people – As per the rules of the scheme, the people living in the cities as well as the villages will be able to get the benefits from the state government.
Budget allocated for the scheme
The state government has announced that for meeting the expenses of the scheme, the state has allocated a budget of 486.36 crores. The money will be utilized for procuring the sarees and dhotis, which are to be distributes.
The implementation of the saree and dhoti program will bring a smile on the faces of the poor at the very beginning of their new year. Apart from providing a new cloth to the needy, it will assist the government in helping the weavers.